7 days / 6 nights
Cusco Machu Picchu
Moderate – Difficult
Hike the exciting Lares Trek that will take you through traditional Andean weaving communities, pristine lakes and breathtaking views of the snow-capped mountains. On this trek we will use llamas and horses. Experience the traditional cultural life of the Andean people living at high altitudes. Familiarize yourself with their farming skills and colorful weaving techniques. Take pleasure in dipping into the Lares hot springs at the end of the trek. Continue by train to Machu Picchu town to spend the night. The next day enjoy a professional guided walking tour of the wonderful Machu Picchu and savor every minute in the grandeur of this archeological site.
Trekperu operates this trek with a minimum of 2 persons.
Day 1 Arrive in Cusco – City Tour
Arrive and our staff will transfer you to your hotel. Rest and enjoy an early lunch. In the afternoon we will start the tour of the city of the Incas. Walk on the cobble stone streets visiting the Cathedral in the Plaza de Armas and Qoricancha (Inca Sun Temple). Afterwards, drive above the city, to visit the ruins of Sacsayhuaman, Q’enqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay. Return to Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco
No meals included
Note: If you choose Private Service (more expensive but worth it) – Pick your departure time, exclusive visit to the Central San Pedro Market where the locals shop, at your pace, and drop off at your hotel.
Day 2 Full Day Sacred Valley
In the morning we will take off from your hotel and drive to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Our first visit will be of the Pisac ruins (2972m/9751ft) admiring the numerous agricultural terraces and the ruins. Then drive down to the town of Pisac and shop in the artisan market with many stalls selling many colorful handicrafts. Thereafter, we drive to Urubamba to have a delicious buffet lunch. After lunch, we continue to one of the original Inca towns of Ollantaytambo (2792m/9160ft) built by the Inca Pachacutec. Visit the archeological site which has many structures such as the Temple of the Sun and more. Our final visit will be of the quaint town of Chinchero (3772m/12375ft) with the remains of what was the royal hacienda of Tupac Inca Yupanqui, as well as a beautiful colonial temple built on Inca foundations. Return to Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco
Breakfast and lunch included Note: If you choose Private Service (more expensive but worth it) – Pick your departure time, exclusive visit of the Awanacancha weaving center, Pisac sun temple, and enjoy the have a more in depth visit of the ruins, stops for pictures, and at your pace.
Day 3 Lares Trek 4D/3N – Cusco – Huaran – Cancha Cancha
We will meet you in your hotel and travel by private transportation for approximately 2 hours to Huaran (2840m/9317ft), a small village in the Sacred Valley and the start of the trek. Meet our horsemen and lamas to begin our cultural hike through the lush valley, following the gentle uphill route of the Cancha Cancha River. It will take about 5 hours to reach the picturesque village of the same name where we will set up camp for the night (3934m/12903ft).
Meals: L, D
Day 4 Cancha Cancha – Pachacutec Pass – Quiswarani
After breakfast, we start our steep ascent to the Pachacutec Pass (4700m/15416ft), the highest point of the trek. From here enjoy the spectacular views of the snow-peaked mountains, lagoons and the surrounding valley. We continue walking downhill taking in amazing views of the Lares Valley and more. We reach the Quiswarani village (3900m/12792ft) where will spend the night. Enjoy the glacial lakes, waterfalls and rich bird life.
Meals: B, L, D
Day 5 Quiswarani – Cuncani – Lares Hot Springs – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes (Machupicchu Town)
We will wake up very early today and have breakfast before starting our hike. Our hike will take us with an ascent of about 3 hours to reach the Huillquijasa Pass (4442m/14569ft) the second highest pass of the trek. The views are impressive and worth the climb! Thereafter, we descend towards the village of Cuncani for about 2 hours passing beautiful turquoise lakes along the way. Continue by transport to the Lares hot springs to enjoy a dip in the volcanic waters. We will enjoy a dilicious lunch before boarding our transport to the Ollantaytambo station. Take the train to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Town) and relax in a comfortable hostel for the night.
Overnightl in Aguas Calientes
Meals B, L
Day 6 Machu Picchu Tour – Cusco
Enjoy a very early breakfast, before taking the bus with your guide for a 25 minute ride up to one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Machu Picchu. Take pleasure in a professional guided walking tour of the citadel visiting the extraordinary Temple of the Sun, Temple of the Three Windows and much more. Afterwards, you will have time on your own to further explore the ruins. Then return by bus to Machu Picchu town for lunch (on your own) before boarding the train to Poroy. You will be met at the train station by our staff and private transfer to your hotel in Cusco.
Day 7 Cusco – Lima
Today transfer to the airport for your flight to Lima or other destination.
Optional extra cost: Huayna Picchu (must book 3 months in advance) or Machu Picchu Mountain Peak.
Replace the Lares with Glamping the Lares Trail – Consult us for price.
- Transfer IN/OUT Cusco
- Cusco and Sacred Valley Tours + Entrance ticket to ruins
- Hotel in Cusco: 3 nights
- Trip briefing before departure.
- Bilingual guide (English-Spanish).
- Cook, waiter and assistant.
- Wranglers with llamas and horses
- Emergency horse
- Private transportation to the trailhead.
- Entrance to Lares hot springs.
- High quality camping equipment: Professional double tents, sleeping pads (Thermarest), kitchen, dining and toilet tents, tables, chairs, stools, all kitchen gear.
- Horses and llamas. Maximum animal weight per passenger: 7kg/15lbs. We provide a duffel bag for your personal belongings but must be returned at the end of the trek.
- All meals on the itinerary (B= Breakfast L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals on request at no extra cost.
- Portable biodegradable chemical toilet with tent.
- Round Trip tourist class train Ollantaytambo – Machu Picchu town – Cusco
- Hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Round trip bus ticket: Machupicchu town/Machupicchu ruins
- Machu Picchu entrance fee.
- First-aid kit and oxygen bottle.
- Trekperu uses walkie-talkies on all treks.
- All trash produced during the trek returns to Cusco.
Services NOT Included:
- Domestic flights (we can book for you).
- Travel and health insurance.
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain Peak
- Sleeping bag with liner $25.
- Single tent available $25.
- Walking pole set $20.
- Breakfast first day, dinner 3rd night, and lunch last day in Calientes
- Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc., shall be covered by the passenger as a whole. If you cannot continue the trek or walk due to physical or health reasons and you would require emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc.. will be at passenger’s expense. You will be accompanied by our staff member back to Urubamba in the Sacred Valley or Cusco. This is why we recommend purchasing travel and health insurance. This is money well invested! Trekperu will help you obtain all the necessary documents for you to file a claim with your insurance company.
- Personal items like individual gear, room services, sleeping bag, medicines, laundry, telephone calls, airline excess luggage charges, visa fees, vaccinations, etc.
- Passengers should bring a lightweight pack (25 liters) for their personal effects can use during the hike: Bottle water, suncream, camera, insect repelent, kacket, rain gear, cap, etc.
- Towel for washing.