11 days / 10 nights
Cusco Machu Picchu, Amazon
Moderate – Difficult
We are combining the Salkantay trek with the city of Cusco and the Amazon. We will explore Cusco the Sacred Valley before hiking the Salkantay sacred mountain to Machu Picchu. Then relax in the Amazon being in nature and visiting the wildlife.
Day 1 Arrive in Lima
Arrive in the Lima airport, and our staff will be waiting to transfer you to your hotel. On the way, you will receive a general briefing that will cover subjects like facts about the country in addition to historical and cultural information. Feel free to ask questions!
Overnight in Lima
Day 2 Lima – Cusco – City Tour
Transfer to the airport for your flight to Cusco. Arrive and our staff will transfer you to your hotel. Rest and enjoy an early lunch. In the afternoon we will start the tour of the city of the Incas. Walk on the cobble stone streets visiting the Cathedral in the Plaza de Armas and Qoricancha (Inca Sun Temple). Afterwards, drive above the city, to visit the ruins of Sacsayhuaman, Q’enqo, Pucapucara and Tambomachay. Return to Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco
Note: If you choose Private Service (more expensive but worth it) – Pick your departure time, exclusive visit to the Central San Pedro Market where the locals shop, at your pace, and drop off at your hotel.
Day 3 Full Day Sacred Valley
In the morning we will take off from your hotel and drive to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Our first visit will be of the Pisac ruins (2972m/9751ft) admiring the numerous agricultural terraces and the ruins. Then drive down to the town of Pisac and shop in the artisan market with many stalls selling many colorful handicrafts. Thereafter, we drive to Urubamba to have a delicious buffet lunch. After lunch, we continue to one of the original Inca towns of Ollantaytambo (2792m/9160ft) built by the Inca Pachacutec. Visit the archeological site which has many structures such as the Temple of the Sun and more. Our final visit will be of the quaint town of Chinchero (3772m/12375ft) with the remains of what was the royal hacienda of Tupac Inca Yupanqui, as well as a beautiful colonial temple built on Inca foundations. Return to Cusco.
Overnight in Cusco
Breakfast and lunch included
Note: If you choose Private Service (more expensive but worth it) – Pick your departure time, exclusive visit of the Awanacancha weaving center, Pisac sun temple, and enjoy the have a more in depth visit of the ruins, stops for pictures, and at your pace.
Day 4 Salkantay Trek 5D/4N – Mollepata –Soraypampa
Pick up in the morning from your hotel and drive from Cusco to Mollepata (3000m/9843ft) and continue to Challacancha a place with magnificent scenery of valleys, and mountains. From here, we start our hike upwards until reaching Soraypampa (3700m/12139ft) our first campsite that is located at the foot of the Tucarhuay mountain.
Meals: L, D
Day 5 Salkantaypampa– Salkantay pass – Collpapampa
In the morning we will walk the most difficult part of the trek, the highest point, to the Salkantay Pass (4600m/15092ft). Then we start our descent observing the change of the constant ecological scenery. Finally, we arrive at our next camp at Collpapampa (3200m/10496ft).
Meals: B, L, D
Day 6 Collpapampa- La Playa – Lucmabamba
After breakfast we will walk down through a colorful forest seeing bright vegetation. We will pass many farming areas of coffee, cacao and more, en route to Lucmabamba (2100m/6890ft), our next campsite. Later on we will enjoy a tour of a nearby coffee farm. We will see the process of roasting the coffee beans and then try an aromatic cup of brew.
Meals: B, L, D
Note: Most travel agencies go to Santa Teresa for the night which has a hotsprings but there is too much noise and partying so we no longer do this route.
Day 7 Lucmabamba – Llactapata Ruins – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes (Machupicchu Town)
This morning after breakfast, we will continue our hike to the Llactapata Ruins (2700m/8907ft). We will walk up for about 3 hours admiring the beautiful scenery of orchids and more until reaching the ruins for a visit. Take in the amazing first views of the back of the Machu Picchu ruins from a far distance. Afterwards, we continue down hill for about 2 hours to the Hydroelectric Station (1950m/6398ft). From here we will walk to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) (2050m/6726ft) along the Urubamba River enjoying the beautiful vegetation. We arrive in town and walk to our hotel and check in. Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure.
Optional extra cost: take the train to Aguas Calientes instead of walking.
Overnight in Machupicchu Town
Meals: B, L
Day 8 Machu Picchu Tour – Cusco
After a very early breakfast, your guide will meet you in your hotel to take the bus up to the magical Sanctuary of Machu Picchu. Enjoy a professional guided walking tour of the grand Machu Picchu (2400m/7874ft). Visit the extraordinary Temple of the Sun, Temple of the Three Windows features huge trapezoidal windows and much more. Enjoy free time climbing Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, or walk to the Inca Bridge or Sungate. Then return by bus to Machu Picchu town for lunch (on your own) before boarding the train to the Poroy station. Arrive and our staff will be waiting to take you to your hotel in Cusco.
Optional extra cost: Huayna Picchu (must be reserved at least 3 months in advance) or Machu Picchu Mountain Peak.
Day 9 Cusco – Amazon 3Days
Transfer to the airport for your flight to Puerto Maldonado. Reception at the airport and drive to the Maldonado lodge where you will receive a welcome tropical drink. Then we will board the motorboat for a 3 to 4 hour ride up the Tambopata River to the Wasai Lodge. En route you will see tropical birds, caymans, and other wildlife. We will also pass by typical Amazon communities. We arrive and check into our lodge. Later enjoy a walk through the jungle to learn of its ecosystems.
Breakfast in your hotel, lunch and dinner included
Day 10 Amazon
Very early in the morning, we will go upstream to the Macaw Clay Lick ¨El Chuncho¨in the Bahuaja-Sonene National Park. This is where hundreds of macaws and parrots gather every morning and afternoon to feed on the minerals necessary to complement their diet. After a wonderful experience in nature, we return to the lodge for breakfast and enjoy the lodge´s facilities. After lunch, we will take an ethno botanical hike learning about the plants and medicinal trees of the area. At night we do a night walk to spot caiman.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included
Day 11 Puerto Maldonado – Lima – International flight
A very early start is required for the canoe trip back to Puerto Maldonado, where we catch our flight to Lima. Arrive and our staff will be waiting to transfer you to Miraflores. Rest of the day at leisure.
Overnight in Lima
Note: If the Wasai Lodge is not available we will offer you another choice in the same category or offer an upgrade. Optional extra cost: Add an extra day in the Amazon, add and extra day in Lima.
Replace the Salkantay trek with Glamping or the Inca Trail if available, Lares trek, Choquequirao trek or Moonstone Trail.
End of Services
- Transfer IN/OUT
- Trek briefing with your guide.
- Professional English/Spanish Guide
- Entrance to ruins mentioned in program.
- Tours as per program
- Hotel in Lima – 1 night
- Hotel in Cusco – 3 nights
- Camping – 3 nights
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes – 1 night
- Amazon – 2 nights
- Wrangler with horses
- Emergency horse
- Transportation from Cusco to the trailhead.
- High quality camping equipment (Professional tents for 2 persons, air beds (Thermarest), dining/Kitchen tents with table and chairs).
- Bathrooms are available in the camping areas.
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea. Vegetarian, vegan or gluten free meals on request at no extra cost.
- Our equipment and personal belongings. Maximum weight per person 7kg/15bs carried by horses. Trekperu will lend a duffel bag for this purpose but must be returned at end of trek.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu ruins.
- Round trip Bus Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu.
- Train from Machu Picchu town to Poroy station.
- Transfer from Poroy to Cusco.
- First-aid kit, and oxygen bottle.
- Trekperu uses walkie-talkies on all treks
- All trash produced during the trek returns to Cusco.
Services NOT Included:
- Domestic flights (we can book for you)
- Travel and healh insurance.
- Entrance: Huayna Picchu or Machupicchu Mountain Peak.
- Breakfast on first day, dinner on fourth night, and lunch on last day in Machu Picchu town.
- Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc.,shall be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also if you, or for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and emergency evacuation needed all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger´s expense. For all of these reasons, we recommend taking out travel and health insurance to be able to cover these costs. This is money well invested! Of course, Trekperu will help you obtain all necessary documents for you to be refunded in full by your insurance company.
- Personal items like individual gear, sleeping bag, medicines, laundry, phone calls, etc.
- Alcohol drinks or anything not mentioned in program.
- Sleeping Bag with liner: US$25.00.
- Walking Pole Set: US$20.00
- Single Tent: US$25.00
- Showers in the camping areas at extra cost.
- Passengers should bring a lightweight pack (25 liters) for their personal effects (Bottle water, suncream, insect repelent, camera, jacket, rain gear, cap, etc.).
- Towel for washing.